5.19.2010

Risky Business!

After hearing a message at The Porch last night on the life of Stephen found in Acts 7, I was challenged to take a look at my life and my lack of risky business. Stephen was a devoted Christ follower. A risk-taker who was not afraid to share the gospel with those who wanted him killed. His secret - according to Acts 7:55, he had his eyes so intently focused on his Heavenly Father that he was not distracted by his surroundings. Not even when he was being stoned to death! Sounds kind of extreme, but then again, we serve a God who took the extreme measure of sending his only son to earth to die a gruesome death on the cross for a bunch of unbelieving peons. It is my belief that we are not called to live a comfortable complacent life. Especially when there is so much discomfort going on in the world around us.

So, if for one moment I was to forget about my debt, my fears of the unknown, my self-image, my job, my family, everything...what would I do to take a risk for the kingdom? It would look a little like this...
  • Instead of turning my head, I would talk to every homeless person I saw on the streetcorner and tell them how much Jesus loves them.

  • I would pick up hitchhikers, for the sole purpose of hearing their stories and serving them.

  • I would pack my bags and head off to a foreign country to share the gospel on a long-term mission trip.

  • I would give more than my allotted 10% to the church and truly trust God to provide for me.

  • I would adopt a whole family of children through Compassion International.

  • I would stop hiding and allow others to see the real me, with all of my struggles, and hope that my experiences would encourage them.

  • I would be honest and tell people how I feel before it's too late.

  • I would live every day as if it were my last!
It all boils down to trusting God and having faith in His sovereignty and His plan. I either trust that He is in control and will take care of me or I don't. I've often heard that faith without works is dead, so it looks like I better take some action!

No comments:

Post a Comment