11.16.2010

Still..."Party of 1"

This is not a pity party. Just a party of one. I like being single. Wait! Let me restate that. I've learned to like being single.

My time is all my own. I don't have to check in with anyone, cook for anyone, clean up after anyone. I can eat Fruity Pebbles for dinner in my bathrobe and slippers and go to bed at 8:30 if I want. I don't do that, but I can. Okay, maybe I do that every once in a while. :) I'm free to go and do whatever God calls me to. I'm a modern day Paul-ess. I get to focus 100% on God and not be distracted by a husband. Although I will say, there are some mighty fine not-my-husbands out there that are still a major distraction. I digress. I am seriously boy crazy right now. (Which should not be allowed for anyone over 30!)

All this to say, something about this time of year makes it really tough to be single. It's cold and I would kind of like another warm body in the bed with me...even if it snores. I put up the Christmas tree this past weekend and just about broke my back trying to drag the darn thing up the stairs and then put it together. A Mr. would have come in pretty handy right about then. And then there are all of the holiday invitations that are pouring in for Ms. Prewitt & "guest". Umm...guest? If I take anymore girl friends with me to company events, they are going to think I'm gay.

The biggest blow came from my company. Let me preface this: I love my job and am pretty sure I work for the best company ever. BUT...if you are single, they only allow you to bring one guest to the company Christmas party, whereas, if you have a family, you bring them all. If I had a Mr., this would be perfect. But I don't. I had invited my mom and dad to come before I knew about the "1 guest" rule. Did I mention that I am going to be featured as the "employee talent" this year and will be singing a solo in front of hundreds of people? People that I don't know. No personal cheering section for me.

Once again, this is not a pity party. I'm just hoping that one day I will be able to cheerfully say "plus one" instead of "party of 1".

No comments:

Post a Comment