7.14.2009

Tough Love

So the story goes a little something like this...last fall my roommate and I decided to designate Sunday evenings as our "family night" since we both stayed so busy and never had a chance to hang out or catch up on life. It just so happened that this new show called "Tough Love" was on VH1 so it became our weekly ritual to watch this show together and laugh at all of the drama. The premise of the show is that Steve Ward, an LA matchmaker, would send a select group of women out on dates to figure out what they were doing wrong so he could help them find the right kind of guy. The more we watched the show, the more we were convinced that we needed to be on the show!

So...when the season was over, we randomly got online and filled out applications to be on Season 2. At the time, it just seemed like something fun to do, and we honestly didn't think anything would come out of it. WRONG! This week, both my roommate and I received an email inviting us to an Invite Only Casting Call Mixer here in Dallas. With hearts beating wildly, adrenaline sky high, and nerves on edge, we got all dolled up and went to the casting call with about 50 other women at a local lounge. It would be an understatement to say that it was definitely not our "usual" crowd. From the moment we walked in, we had women all over the room checking us out and sizing up the competition. Gotta love women and all of their drama!!! I don't know what I would have done had I not had my wing-man there with me. Love you roomie!

We did meet some nice girls, as we had to join up with four other women for our interviews. It basically amounted to the casting director (who was way too cute for his own good) asking the group questions and we went around one by one and answered. Considering that I was the oldest in my group by 5 years, I felt oddly confident. Perhaps it was knowing that I had more experience under my belt, or maybe it was just the fact that I'm 30, flirty, and fabulous and I finally know who I am and what I'm looking for. :) We had to share what our issues were and how we thought we would be labeled by the matchmaker. Hmm...if I knew, I probably wouldn't be single. Ha!

On a serious note, I've had to do a lot of thinking lately about my hang-ups and why I think I'm single. The conclusion I've come to is that my signals are reversed. When I meet someone that I really like, I tend to get obsessive, analytical and emotionally needy within about 60 seconds. As my friends have told me, a guy can smell desperation from a mile away and they take the first available U-turn. On the flip side, when I'm not interested in someone, I quit trying. I'm cool, calm and collected and completely independent and confident in who I am and then the guy falls madly in love with me. PROBLEM!!! Not quite sure how to fix this, which is why I'm hoping they pick me for the show! I currently have an on-camera interview this evening, so stay tuned for more drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment